Friday 9 March 2007

The First Day

This post will be a little disjointed after the one I put up yesterday but nevermind.


Finally we arrived in Delhi after twelve and a half hours travelling. After the initial skepticism of Kuwait ariways the flights were actually really good, and we flew over Iraq to; excellent! Changing at Kuwait airport was a bit of a hassle due to the seeming inability of the Indian men to queue; once the gate was opened it was a free for all. Me and Paul both had our boarding cards checked at the same time yet when I turned round to speak to him the next second there were five or six people between us.




Immigration at Delhi airport was very good and we passed through it smoothly, the wait for our bags was anything but and after 35mins we began to worry. The large queue at the luggage counter dircetly behind us did nothing at all to ease our tired minds. Eventually, after 45mins, our luggage did arrive and we found our driver, waiting for a Mr Mark; I swear I booked using both names.


After attempting some small talk with the driver I decided his English wasn't up to it and that, after so long with shut-eye, I quite frankly couldn't be arsed. It was at this point I noticed the insanity on the roads; this load of nutters make the Italians look like Michael Schumacher. And then the sound of Delhi: The car horn. It has not ceased since I arrived here and I kid you not, from dusk till dawn all you here is BEEP BEEP. From the impotent meep meep of the Rickshaws to the soul destroying BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEP of the Buses and van; it simply doesn't stop. Cryptically the vans actually encourage horn love with their "Horn Please" signs scrawls on the rear. As I write all I hear it BEEEEEEP BEEP


Once I arived at the hotel I took a breakfast of Coffee and Potato Curry with Roti which was great, although any food would have been treated with admiration my hunger being what it was. Unfortunately though, this meal combined with one of my ever interesting politics book simply completed the kill and I was out like alight. Make no links between my choice of literature and drowsiness :)



Me and Paul at Breakfast


Come 22:30 we were awake and decided to take a Rickshaw into Delhi: Connaught Place, and faced our first haggle; I think the driver won this one; but only by 10 Rupees. The city is pretty much at a Standstill be this time so we gave up and headed back to the hotel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pictures not very clear.

Are the roads like New York? I remember getting the taxi into NY and being scared shitless!

Also another request, can you take some ace photos of the nightlife, lights, that sort of thing.
Graphics and a trend for spring/summer 08 are inspired by large asian cities.

Anonymous said...

Yeah the quality of the photo isn't good.

Sort it out guys .. ..