Sunday 11 March 2007

Agra, 11th March - Taj Mahal

Sitting in the midday sun and gazing mesmerising at the Taj Mahal, which delivers the expected amazement; unlike most of the sites listed in Lonely Planet or Rough Guide books, I assumed I would be full of inspiration to write this blog entry. There isn't actually a cyber cafe here; I’m using the archaic pen and paper method.


Perhaps the reality that I’m here hasn't quite hit me yet, or, more likely, it is the rumbling in my gut that signifies the need to gorge myself with a lunchtime curry. Food isn't allowed into the Taj and the 500ml of free water just doesn't satisfy the same as a Potato and Spinach curry.


Checking my phone, and I have a text from my Dad: 2-2, Rooney and Ron. Bloody Brilliant! Just what we need: Another replay. I managed to stay up until 1.30 last night but missed the final 10mins of the match and woke some hours later with my glasses carving into my ear.


It's 6AM and the taxi to take us to the Taj Mahal will be here by 7.30AM. After a night at Colonel Lambdas Homestay I have decided, demotion or not, this man is a Chief. We had an excellent home cooked meal last night and then a filling (free :-D) breakfast this morning.


We arrived at the Taj Mahal after being slightly sidetracked because it was early, we were tired, and, couldn't read the Hindi signage. Once inside the majesty of the building swept me of my feet, it is truly amazing.


Examining the building and its appreciating the effort that went into its construction is awe-inspiring. The devotion to detail and fine carving really help to emotionally connect you with the sense of loss Shāh Jahān must of felt when designing the structure for his favourite wife: Mumtaz Mahel, in 1631. I must say, enough of the bollocks. Seriously it is nice and I can appreciate the time and effort but all I’ve been doing it farting about taking photos of the damn thing.


Loads of idiots have been taking photos like this and pretending to pinch the building out of the ground: Losers!



 

Me and the Taj Mahal





Taking photos of the minarets

 

The classic shot








 

A Monk patrolling the Taj


Minaret and circling vultures

 






 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool photos of the lightening!!

Unknown said...

Mars Home Stay We have 4 No. of Rooms with Fully Air Conditioned and well furnished. And 2 Party Halls with 100 people gathering. Our professional staff is trained to take great care of you and your family's comfort. Location of Our Hotel is Nearby Taj Mahal is around 1.5 km. After all you deserve a break, and it needs to be a good one. The city rose to prominence as the capital of the Mughal Empire in the 16th Century. Many of the city's acclaimed heritage sites date back to this era, including the resplendent Taj Mahal.
#Best Homestay in Agra
#Homestay in Agra near Taj Mahal
#Best Room in Agra
Mars Home Stay
E-mail: marshomestayagra@gmail.com
+91-9897266123, 9568133330